Consumer Technology Association (CTA)®
Engagement Platform for Division and Council Boards
Community Rules & Etiquette and Privacy Terms
Welcome to the CTA® Engagement Platform. Thank you for being part of our community. To ensure the best possible experience for all members, we have established some basic terms for participation (“Terms”). By joining and using this community, you agree that you have read and will follow these Terms. Please read them carefully because in order to preserve an environment that encourages both civil and productive dialogue, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate membership in this community for anyone who violate these Terms. If you have any questions, please contact the member services department.
General Guidelines for all CTA activities
CTA Code of Conduct
- Respect others. Focus on the content of posts and not on the people making them. Please extend the benefit of the doubt to newer guests and members; there’s no such thing as a stupid question.
- Respect the purpose of the community. Use the community to share your ideas, feedback, and questions, regarding the work of your Board.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the discussion groups and in the libraries is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws. Following CTA’s General Guidelines for all CTA Activities, you should not discuss antitrust topics including but not limited to restraint of trade, pricing, pricing policies, terms of sale, cost of production or distribution and boycotting.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Respect intellectual property. Post content that you have personally created or have permission to use and have properly attributed to the content creator.
- When posting items in our collaborative environment, please indicate if the item is not available for reuse. It’s also advisable to contact the owner of any material if you would like to reuse it.
- Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate communities. This helps ensure all messages receive the best response by eliminating "noise."
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals, not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link in every message.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as “remove me from the list,” to the group. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing email addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new email address. Simply change your settings.
- Just as in CTA meetings, you have a duty to keep designated documents and information confidential. CTA members must not disclose confidential information to any non-member or third-party, including the media.
The Legal Stuff
This site is provided as a service for the members of the Consumer Technology Association. CTA is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. We may update the services provided through this site and may change the substance at any time. If the need arises, we may suspend access to the site, or close it indefinitely. CTA does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, if any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of CTA, we will strive to take all appropriate action.
Intellectual Property: By posting material, the you warrant and represent that you own the copyright with respect to such material or have received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, you grant CTA and users of this site the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
Warranties: THESE SERVICES, THEIR CONTENT, AND THEIR LINKS ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS AND ARE USED ONLY AT YOUR SOLE RISK, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE BY LAW. CTA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, OF ANY KIND, REGARDING THESE SERVICES (INCLUDING ITS CONTENT, HARDWARE, SOFTWARE AND LINKS), INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES AS TO FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, MERCHANTABILITY, TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, RESULTS, ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, ACCESSIBILITY, COMPATIBILITY, SECURITY AND FREEDOM FROM COMPUTER VIRUS. IF APPLICABLE LAW DOES NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF SOME OR ALL OF THE ABOVE IMPLIED WARRANTIES TO APPLY TO YOU, THE ABOVE EXCLUSIONS WILL APPLY TO YOU TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.
Limitations on Liability and Remedies: CTA'S ENTIRE LIABILITY AND YOUR EXCLUSIVE REMEDY WITH RESPECT TO ANY DISPUTE WITH CTA (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES) IS TO DISCONTINUE YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES. CTA AND ITS VENDORS WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF THESE SERVICES OR FOR ANY OTHER CLAIM RELATED IN ANY WAY TO YOUR USE OR REGISTRATION WITH CTA. THESE EXCLUSIONS FOR INCLUDE, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOST BUSINESS, LOST PROFITS, LOST REVENUE, LOST DATA, LOSS OF GOODWILL, WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY OTHER COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES, EVEN IF CTA HAD BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY THEREOF AND REGARDLESS OF THE LEGAL OR EQUITABLE THEORY UPON WHICH THE CLAIM IS BASED. IN STATES OR JURISDICTIONS THAT DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR THE LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, CTA AND ITS VENDORS' LIABILITY IN SUCH STATES OR JURISDICTIONS WILL BE LIMITED TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. CTA DOES NOT ENDORSE, WARRANT OR GUARANTEE ANY PRODUCT OR SERVICE OFFERED THROUGH THESE SERVICES AND WILL NOT BE A PARTY TO OR IN ANY WAY BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MONITORING ANY TRANSACTION BETWEEN YOU AND THIRD-PARTY PROVIDERS OF PRODUCTS OR SERVICES. IN ANY EVENT, IF ANY OF THE ABOVE PROVISIONS IN THIS SECTION ARE NOT ENFORCEABLE IN AN APPLICABLE JURISDICTION, THE MAXIMUM LIABILITY OF CTA WILL BE LIMITED TO, IN THE SOLE DISCRETION OF CTA, EITHER THE (1) CORRECTION OR DELETION OF ANY INACCURATE CONTENT OR LINK; OR (2) REFUND OF THE AMOUNT YOU PAID US TO USE THESE SERVICES
Indemnification: You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless CTA and its affiliates, officers, directors, employees, agents and contractors from any demands, claims, suits, actions, damages, liabilities, expenses or harms, including attorney’s fees, arising from or related to the use of the Services or violation of these Terms, online conduct, or dealings or transactions with other persons resulting from use of CTA Services including any liability or expense arising from claims, losses, damages, suits, judgments, litigation costs and attorneys’ fees.
Termination or Suspension: CTA may terminate or suspend access to this site immediately, without prior notice or liability, for any reason whatsoever. If appropriate, we may report any breach of these Terms to relevant law enforcement authorities. All provisions of the Terms which by their nature should survive termination will survive termination, including, without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, indemnity and limitations of liability.
About these Terms: These Terms control the relationship between CTA and you. They do not create any third-party beneficiary rights. If you do not comply with these Terms, and we do not act right away, this doesn’t mean that we are giving up any rights that we may have (such as taking action in the future). If it turns out that a particular term is not enforceable, this will not affect any other terms. CTA may modify these Terms at any time. Changes will not apply retroactively.
Governing Law: The law of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA, without regard to its conflict of laws principles, will govern all matters between you and CTA with respect to your use of our Services and will apply to any disputes arising out of or relating to these Terms or the Services. You agree to exclusive litigation in Arlington County, Virginia, USA.